• My position with AOS:
Member of the AOS Research Grants Committee
• My current full-time title and institution:
Research Professor, Illinois State University
• My current career stage:
• My lineage of mentors/labs:
PhD advisor: Val Nolan Jr, Indiana University
Postdoc advisor: Carl Helms, University of Georgia
I get to ask interesting questions about birds and work with great students.
• My favorite bird and why:
House wren. They have been very good to me.
• I am involved with AOS because:
It is my professional home
• The best part about being a member of AOS is:
There are a lot of people in the club who find birds as fascinating as I do, which isn’t true anyplace else.
• Birds are important to me because:
They are very interesting
• Advice I have to offer a student (master’s level or younger) in ornithology:
Don’t let anyone discourage you
• One ornithology question or problem I would like to solve or see solved:
Why, really, do birds engage in extra-pair matings?
• Fun random fact about myself:
I’ve eaten the stomach contents of a walrus