• Twitter Handle:
Nest predation videos from Jordan’s M.S. project
• My position with AOS:
Communications Committee Member
• My current full-time title and institution:
PhD Researcher, Iowa State University
• My current career stage:
• My lineage of mentors/labs:
Dr. John Quinn research crew (undergrad)
Dr. Heather Mathewson lab (M.S.)
Dr. Lisa Schulte-Moore lab (Ph.D.)
I examine the birds and the bees. Prairie birds and bees that is.
• My favorite bird and why:
Plain Chachalaca. Is there a cooler bird name?
• I am involved with AOS because:
Research and networking. And a great excuse to travel.
• Birds are important to me because:
Birds are important to me because of their diversity and ability to serve as indicators of ecosystem health. They’re also a great way to connect to people.
• Advice I have to offer a student (master’s level or younger) in ornithology:
Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone whether that means moving to a new place or studying new taxa.
• One ornithology question or problem I would like to solve or see solved:
How do we balance avian conservation and AG production for a growing population?
• Fun random fact about myself:
Lived on the border of Mexico for 2 summers researching White-tipped Doves.
• Something else birdy I’d like to share:
Loved my M.S. field work in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. The website I entered is my youtube page with some of the nest predation videos from my work there.