Deadline for submitting applications is March 20, 2018.
The American Ornithological Society (AOS) is pleased to provide funding for student members of the Society to defray travel expenses to attend the International Ornithological Congress 2018 (IOCongress2018) held in Vancouver, British Columbia, 19-26 August. The AOS is offering travel awards for graduate students and postdocs to help defray expenses to attend this international meeting. Our goal is to support students who will maximally benefit from attending the IOCongress2018, held every-four-years, by helping them expand their network while seeking new professional development opportunities.
To be eligible for an AOS travel award to attend IOCongress2018, an applicant must meet the following three criteria:
- Be a current AOS Member (12-31-2018 or later expiration date)
- Be an enrolled Grad Student (major advisor verification required) OR Postdoctoral Fellow (demonstrated need required)
- Be the presenting author of a poster or oral presentation
- Depending on the number of applicants, not every applicant may receive funding. Preference will be given to PhD students within 1 year of completing their degree and Postdocs with demonstrated need.
- Applicants are eligible even if they have received an AOS travel award in previous years, including receiving a travel award to attend the 2018 AOS meeting.
- If the qualified recipient has received a 2018 travel award for the AOS meeting, the IOCongress2018 travel award is limited to reimbursable travel costs only (ground, air, rail, etc)
- If this is the only travel award they are receiving from AOS in 2018, the IOCongress2018 award may be used for travel, accommodations, and registration at theIOCongress2018.
- Student and Postdocs are encouraged to apply for early registration ($295), which closes on 3 April 2018.
Abstracts and travel applications are due on 20 March 2018 by 11:59 PM Eastern.
All applicants must submit their application through the Member Portal. Login to your account, Go to View Open Competitions on the lower right of your Home Page, and then open the AOS Travel Awards to IOCongress2018 competition.
Required submission information:
- Regardless of degree program, all applicants will be required to submit their current academic standing (e.g., MS, PhD, postdoc) and actual or anticipated graduation date.
- Graduate student applicants must submit their supervisor’s name and email address, and upload a PDF of a brief statement from their advisor indicating the student is enrolled and in good standing.
- Postdoctoral applicants must submit a statement clearly outlining their demonstrated need, including a statement on other sources of funding.
- Travel budget information
- Location that the student is traveling from (state or province, and country)
- Please note: Location of origin may be used as a prioritization tool by the committee due to limited funds for this award.
- Past travel award information from the AOS
- PDF copy of your abstract that has been or will be submitted to IOCongress2018
- Abstracts do not need to be officially submitted to IOCongress2018 in order to apply for the travel award. The confirmation number of the submitted abstract will be needed though to to receive the actual award if granted.
If you need any assistance submitting your application, please contact Chris Mulvaney at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help.
Note: While in the Member Portal, please update your profile page and confirm that your settings allow MemberSuite to send you Emails. If you’ve checked “Do Not Email,” you will not receive award notifications from the Society.
Failure to comply with the application procedures, such as an incomplete application, may result in an applicant being ineligible for a travel award.
The AOS Awards committees strive to develop a balanced annual slate of nominees that represent the Society and includes the diversity of its members.
For questions regarding AOS Travel Awards to attend IOCongress2018, contact the committee chair, Morgan Tingley, via email@example.com. Please designate the subject line as the following: “AOS Travel Awards – Inquiry Regarding 2018 Travel Awards to IOCongress2018.”